Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010

Verse of the Day
"and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

Song of the Day
Free by Steven Curtis Chapman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTD69JfhMgo

My Thoughts
Manners Matter. I have always told my kids that people notice and appreciate good manners, especially since they seem harder to find these days. Saturday was a great example of this. Artsy and I were at Target. They had a ton of samples, one in particular was tortilla with melted cheese. I asked her if she would like one. "Yes" was the instant reply and so I handed her one. Immediately, she said "Thank you" to the lady. I was just happy that I didn't have to do the "What do you say?" That gets tremendously old, tremendously fast. Then as we were walking away, this middle aged man that had been in front of us and on his way down the aisle eating his tortilla, came back and said "I can learn something from that little girl" and he turned to the lady handing out the tortillas and said "Thank you". He must not have said thank you the first time around and then heard Artsy say it. Very cool that this man took the time to say that, as it really reinforced to Artsy what I always say to her and the other children "Manners Matter".

Then as we checked out, the woman behind me and the manager that happened to be standing there seemed flabbergasted that I had so many groceries "Are those all for one week?" "Yes, these are all for one week." "Do you go through all of that?" "Yes, we go through all of that." Then I explained that I have 4 children and their ages, and I got the normal "WOW" response. Then I said "They are great kids. I love them so much." And that is when the cashier said music to these little ears of mine. "Yes I know her kids. They are so nice and so well behaved." I was really wishing I had my "cassette" tape recorder there, so I could play that at home when I am ready to rip my hair out of my head. The interesting thing is that I don't think things always go that smoothly for us as we plod through Target, but I can only imagine what they must see in other children.

So, for all of you moms who think you might go crazy reminding your children to use their manners yet another time, remember "Manners matter and people notice and appreciate them."

No comments:

Post a Comment