Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

As I begin Lent, I sit here wondering what this season will bring. I had this wonderful idea of getting our family off of sugar. I am already off of sugar and have been for 4.5 years, but the husband and youngsters have been thoroughly enjoying my love of baking, probably to their detriment. Now, when I mean off of sugar, I mean off of sugar. All labels will be checked. If sugar is in the first four ingredients, it won't be an option for this family. And keep in mind there are a ton of names for sugar. Fruit will be allowed as it has the fiber to go with the fructose sugars, but no juices. Our drinks will be milk, water, tea, and coffee.

The journey actually began probably a week ago when I purposefully began using up the treats in the house. Then yesterday, I tore through the cupboards in search of any items not conducive to our Lenten practice this year. Some we used up yesterday, some got thrown away, and a few things got stored downstairs. We celebrated our Mardi Gras with a cake and ice cream. I told them they could eat as much as they wanted, just to make sure they listened to their stomachs. They all had one piece, some ice cream and were done. Over half the cake was left. I was thrilled. As a recovering compulsive overeater, I would have been determined to finish the cake so as not to waste any. Knowing that there wasn't enough cake there to satisfy me like they had been satisfied, I threw it in the garbage. This is one of the reasons I don't eat sugar. There was never an amount that satisfied me. I would just keep eating and eventually be sick. Their satisfaction with one average piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream was one more sign that they indeed were not following in my footsteps, but nonetheless learning a more healthy way of eating could only benefit them. So the Lenten journey begins.

My interest is peaked as I don't know what to expect from this journey. Will this be a story of spiritual growth for our family. Will God use this sacrifice, this turning from food and turning toward him to grow our family spiritually? Of course, in order to do this, we need to have something we turn toward to help us grow. We will be doing the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily at 3:00pm. We will be going to daily Mass when possible. I also feel God is calling me to purge "stuff". So, I will get rid of or donate 3 items a day from our house. This journal, which now is a blog, is interesting too, as I don't know necessarily why I am writing it other than because I felt God calling me to do it. My girls (Joke-a-Lot, age 7, and Artsy, age 6) have asked the Lord for direction today as to what they are to do this Lenten season. I assured them that they would feel some direction before the day is over. Race Car (almost 5), and Curly (age 2),my guys, are a bit too young to join in the reindeer games. Mr. Fix-it, my husband, will decide for himself, although he is willing to go along with ridding our house of sugar, allowing only small amounts of Stevia, no artificial garbage either.

Maybe the journey will end with children who love healthy food, although that would really throw me for a loop. Maybe, I will notice skin rashes clear up or behavior change for the better. I am expecting a bit of withdrawal from everyone as sugar is an addictive substance. Will I put my energy into creating delicious healthy "treats" for them? I really don't know. Time will tell and I will share this journey with all who care to read. It makes me a little nervous as I can't imagine what could happen that would be so earth shattering, but I lay aside my apprehension and grasp onto the Lord with all my might, knowing that He is in full control.

We went to Ash Wednesday Mass during the day. We homeschool so all the kids were along and they did great. Mr. Fix-it will go later. This was another great opportunity to remind the kids that our time on earth will end and that we need to spend our effort focused on our God-ordained mission on earth, continually seeking guidance and working toward being obedient to God. Our home is in Heaven. We only need to please our Father in Heaven.

The kids aren't eating a lot of what I give them, but that doesn't surprise me. They aren't going to jump on this bandwagon so readily although I haven't heard any complaints about not having sugar and it is already almost 3pm on day 1. We had real peanut butter (Smuckers brand) on Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Double Fiber Bread for breakfast. Lunch consisted of Toasted Cheese on the same bread with marble cheddar cheese, Campbells V-8 Tomato Herb Soup with spiral noodles, a few goldfish, tangerines, or pears. I will skip snacks today as they didn't eat much and I know the pattern. If there are snacks, they will skip the meals and chow down on the snacks. Dinner will be pasta with sauce (Classico, spicy red pepper) and Parmesan cheese, strawberries and cantaloupe, and homemade white bread (Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day). Although "white" foods cause some people problems, taking the sugar out will be task enough for us.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! This is great! Good job getting your blog off the ground (or out of your head). Let me know if you need any other help.:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete