Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February 23, 2010

"When the just cry out, the Lord hears and rescues them from all distress. The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, saves those whose spirit is crushed." Psalm 34:18-19

Food
I dropped Joke-A-Lot off at Culver's to knit with these older ladies, about 40 of them. They usually get free drinks,but she knew that during lent she wouldn't be able to have any. We arrive to find out it is "free frozen custard for the knitters day", so before I left I told her she could have some. Come on. Who can turn down free custard? We'll she did. When I picked her up and asked what flavor she had, she said she decided not to have any. Her First Holy Communion is coming up in April, so for each sacrifice she envisions a beautiful flower in her soul. She is working to have a beautiful bouquet in her soul to give to Jesus when she receives Him in the Eucharist.

"Stuff" Detachment
Again, I have been lacking. I will be right back as I go and purge our home from 3 unneeded items. Okay, I got two black headbands that give me a headache every time I wear them and a set of "stay put" headwraps that certainly don't stay put. Why do I keep this stuff? It doesn't work for me.

Spiritual Growth
A few thoughts came to mind today. This morning when I read the Bible verse from psalms (quoted at the top of the page), I am reminded that my poor dad who is in need of healing on all levels is in good hands. "The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, saves those who spirit is crushed." My dad's spirit is crushed and I am going to hold onto that verse with all that I have.

I was also thinking about our life on earth, full of blessings and bummers.

Blessing: I have such a great mom. She was amazing.
Bummer: She died when she was 62.
Blessing: Curly was born almost a year to the date after my mom died (missed it by 30 minutes).
Bummer: My labor and deliveries never go well, but leave haunting memories in my head.
Blessing: We are all filled with good health.
Bummer: It feels like I have lost my dad too, despite him being here physically.
Blessing: I still have my dad.
Bummer: Mr. Fix-It never met his dad, as he was killed in the Vietnam War.
Blessing: Most of my family is within 5 hours of driving.
Bummer: Mr. Fix-It's family is withing 20 hours of driving. That is one long trip.

This is our life on earth. The Lord gives and takes away. Instead of viewing life like it is going too fast, as I always do, I need to view it as we are one day closer to spending eternity with the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. I need not waste any time fretting over the small things of life. I guarantee I won't remember 90% of the things that get me so upset in a day. The song "Blessed Be the Name of the lord" speaks to all of this and always reminds me of my mom. No matter how hard things can be we must always come through saying "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord." Click here to listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbxEPn6khw
That poor Canadian woman skater, lost her mom on Sunday and was skating today. How hard must that have been? If there is anyone out there reading this, please pray for her and her family.

I have lots to share about the book "Searching for Maintaining Peace", but will do so hopefully tomorrow.

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Egg with Toast (Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Double Fiber), fruit cup (grapefruit, oranges, and grapes)

Lunch: More Egg Noodles with Parmesan cheese (lots of leftovers), vege tray with dip (Curly was not happy that the cherry tomatoes were gone).

Dinner: Angel hair pasta, ground beef (grass-fed from farmer), Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, Take and Bake Bread Sticks from Target, Parmesan cheese, pears

No comments:

Post a Comment