Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 25, 2010

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

Song of the Day
"Somebody's Praying" by Ricky Skaggs
This song has always stirred up strong emotion for me as it rings so true in my life, but then I searched for the youtube and came upon this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_QN9A98dYo and saw a whole different side. Let's pray for all those fighting in our military and for those families whose loved ones have paid the ultimate price, including my father-in-law who was killed in the Vietnam War.

Food
Today was Race Car's 5th birthday. When they turn 5, they get a birthday party with little kids. Not really wanting to have a group of 5 year old boys running around our house, we went to an indoor play area. IT WAS PERFECT! We had cake and ice cream there. For now there are no birthday's in sight until Good Friday, which is Joke-A-Lot's 8th birthday. So, thankfully we will be able to be completely off of sugar for awhile.

"Stuff" Detachment
I grabbed the 3 items from the girls room. One item was a big stuffed teddy bear that neither girl even likes. It actually kind of scares them, so it is pretty much shoved under a table, but I was the one that would never get rid of it because my grandma had given it to them. Well, the truth is my grandma gave them a lot of things, one of which is a different non-scary smaller teddy bear that Joke-A-Lot loves. So, just learning that letting go of something she gave me doesn't take away from how much I love her. I also grabbed a handful of neon, crazy, wild hair things that the girls have had for years and have yet to wear them once.

Spiritual Growth
The quote from the gospel reading today is at the top of the post. This struck me because I remember hearing about this in the talk that I highly recommended a few posts back. I will put the link here again. This is so good, titled "Can God Be Trusted?" http://vimeo.com/7830792 He talked about how a loving father would give them things they would like, but a loving father would never give them something to their detriment. We may think we know what is best, but we need to understand that God has the big picture. We see one piece of the 10,000 piece puzzle and think we have it all figure out. Race Car might think it would be a terrific idea for him to take the mini van for a race around the block, but clearly we as parents know otherwise.

From Searching for and maintaining Peace by Fr. Jacques Philippe, "Christian life is a combat, . . . St. Paul in a letter to the Ephesians, invites us to put on the armor of God to fight not against human enemies . . .but against the cosmic powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens." (v 10-12 "It is the combat of one who struggles with the absolute certitude that the victory is already won, because the Lord is resurrected. . . He does not fight with his own strength, but with that of the Lord, Who says to him, My grace is enough for you, for My power manifests itself in your weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9) We are in a battle. This battle can hurt our inner peace, but yet God's power manifests itself in our weakness. He should really be able to manifest himself in me then, since I have a boatload of weaknesses. I will discuss this more tomorrow.

Today's Menu
Breakfast: I have no idea. Mr. Fix-It was home since it was Race Car's birthday, so he did the breakfast.

Lunch: Yet, more egg noodles (they are all gone finally), ham sandwiches, vege tray

Snack: Birthday cake and vanilla ice cream

Dinner: Angel Hair Pasta, Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, Simek's Italian meatballs, white bread, cake and ice cream

Snack: My dad's famous popcorn for our movie night to top off our birthday celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment