Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21, 2010

"For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them." Ephesians 2:10

Food
Joke-A-Lot fantasized on the way home from church today about how we might be able to get donuts after church on Easter Sunday like we have in the past. I am hoping as the Lenten season continues her fond memories of donuts after church every Sunday will fade. Although, I thought it was a nice family tradition, I have since realized that donuts shouldn't be a weekly tradition, maybe working through the Bible timeline series might be a better tradition. We have the adult series and the children's stuff for them to work on at the same time, so it would only take the effort. Maybe next Sunday. Today was Race Car's 5th birthday party. So, cake and ice cream and soda were part of the day. Plus, Artsy went to a different birthday party also where she had a couple treats.

"Stuff" Detachment
I think I might be onto something with this 3 things a day deal. At first thought, 3 things a day seems like nothing, but slowly the donation bags are getting filled and it is taking almost no effort. Yes, I would love to have the time to attack the house and really make a dent, but let's face it. I can barely string 10 minutes of uninterrupted time together, how would I ever get the time to plow through the house. I got rid of the nice robe that is brand new. Mr. Fix-It isn't a robe guy. So, after I donate it, someone who is a robe guy can enjoy it. Also, grabbed 3 pair of my 80's earrings. Not seeing myself wearing the pastel pink hoop earrings in the near future. I am becoming a little more free every day.

Spiritual Growth
Curly's godfather sent a talk by a priest in the Legionaires of Christ. He thought it might be good for my dad to listen to with his multitude of problems. It is titled "Can God Be Trusted?" http://vimeo.com/7830792
During Race Car's party, I was home with my brother and my dad while everyone else went sledding, so we listened to this talk. IT WAS AWESOME! I would highly recommend listening. He also has a book, which I will have to add to my reading list.

In my new book about maintaining peace, there was a fabulous comparison. He was talking about how for us to be able to do the works that God prepared for us beforehand, it was essential that we strive to acquire and maintain an interior peace. My words couldn't do it justice, so here it is. "Consider the surface of a lake, above which the sun is shining. If the surface of the lake is peaceful and tranquil, the sun will be reflected in this lake; and the more peaceful the lake, the more perfectly will it be reflected. If, on the contrary, the surface of the lake is agitated, undulating, then the image of the sun can not be reflected in it. It is a bit like this with regard to our soul in relationship to God. The more our soul is peaceful and tranquil, the more God is reflected in it, the more His image expresses itself in us, the more His grace acts through us. On the other hand, if our soul is agitated and troubled, the grace of God is able to act only with much greater difficulty." (Searching for and Maintaining Peace, page 5) Isn't that awesome?

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Peanut butter toast or peanut butter bagel or white toast with butter and some cheese.

Lunch: Scrambled Eggs, sausage links, pears

Dinner: My dear mother's famous chicken soup (everyone loved it), white rice, egg noodles, small mandarin oranges, homemade white bread with butter

Birthday Celebration: My dear mother's famous jello cake (husband approved for sure) and cookie dough ice cream, root beer and mountain dew (soda only on birthday's)

No comments:

Post a Comment