Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 20, 2010

"Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing". John 15:5

Food
It seems there are exceptions everyday. Joke-A-Lot and Artsy had a party tonight where they did enjoy a few treats. Tomorrow is Race Car's family birthday party, so once again treats. It is all good though. They have accepted it so willingly.

"Stuff" Detachment
Well, today after asking Artsy to put her Tinker Bell art stuff away twice, I threw it in the garbage. I waited for the tears, but they never came. I felt bad, but it didn't appear that she did. Finally I just had to ask "Did you even like that stuff?" Her response was "Not really." So, this is just one more example that most children in the U.S. have so much that throwing certain things away don't even phase them because in her case she knows she has about 25 other coloring books. To be honest, I think all those Tinker Bell girls look like street walkers anyway. Since it is late at night and I have been running all day, I am considering that my three things since the tin I threw away had way more than three things.

"Spiritual Growth"
I started a new book today called "Searching for and Maintaining Peace" by Fr. Jacques Philippe. When I was at the bookstore yesterday, it seemed this small book literally jumped off the shelf and into my hands. Probably because that same day, my head almost detached from my body when the woman in front of me at the stoplight sat through a full green arrow, despite my "polite" honks. She was clueless, so there we sat for about 5 more minutes because it is a long light. But do you know what? I wasn't really in a rush to get anywhere. The extra 5 minutes didn't kill me. And to be honest, instead of shooting her dagger looks in her side mirror, the time would have been better spent praying. To get upset over something that will be completely meaningless by the end of the day is yet another reminder that I need to continue to strive for that peace that surpasses all understanding, the peace that only our Lord can give, that peace that is there through all circumstances. So, this book will be good. I am going to read only a paragraph a day sharing whatever touches my soul.

"In order to understand how fundamental it is for the development of the Christian life to strive to acquire and maintain peace of heart, the first thing of which we must be convinced is that all the good that we can do comes from God and from Him alone. . . We often have to experience failures, trials and humiliations, permitted by God, before this truth imposes itself on us, not only on an intellectual level, but as an experience of our entire being. . . According to the testimony of all the saints, it is indispensable for us to acquire this knowledge." (page 1)

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Oatmeal made with whole milk, mashed banana, cinnamon, whole milk plain yogurt flavored with a couple drops of french vanilla stevia

Lunch: Mr. Fix-It did lunch. I don't ask questions.

Dinner: Joke-A-Lot and Artsy had cheese pizza, sugared peach tea, sugar cookie, chocolate kisses, and popcorn at their party. I was there helping the "due any day with her 7th child" mom. The rest of the family had Pasty's. According to Mr. Fix-It, Pasty's are not a favorite for Race Car or Curly.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the help last night...it was fun to have you around to eat dinner with & just chat.:) Sounds like a great book...keep the inspirations coming.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    Thanks for including me. I love it! But then, I love you and your children and God and Lent and sharing and our spiritual journey that we are both on, so what's not to love. Your sharing is as visiting with someone on a long hike. It's fun to compare sights and point out compare and contrast experiences. My family is so different and yet the paths we walk are leading toward the same thing. You are at a blessed time because your children are all still close by as they walk their day, and you can tuck them each in at night, reassuring them and yourself that they are where they belong. I had those blessed days, and now they walk on their own. I find I have to trust God and focus on Him and the path or I'd want to run after my children (or husband), and I would loose sight of trusting God. There are blessings in this, too. It is an intense challenge to trust Him, and you know how rewarding that is. Incidentally, It is delightful that Mary has joined us on "this hike". Hey, did you send this blog to her? I'll send you her address. She doesn't have internet now but who knows? God is very surprising.

    I just opened my heart to you and it's sort of stream-of-consciousness speaking. Love you, Ali

    ReplyDelete