Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Thursday, February 18, 2010

February 18, 2010

I am already seeing how this blog might be a blessing to me. Knowing that I will be writing seems to open my eyes more to God's beauty around me. The girls did receive some guidance on what they should do for lent. Artsy (6) is going to stop pouting. Yes! I couldn't have picked a better idea myself. Joke-A-Lot (7) is going to call her grandfather every day and read the daily Bible readings to him as he is blind. Another great idea. I knew God would come through and I am glad that I didn't come up with the ideas for them.

We chatted with some old-timers after Mass, as some of the kids held the door for the elderly. Daily Mass yields only blessings for our family. The sun was shining. It was a beautiful day. I felt I received a gift from our Lord when driving home from Mass. The song "I can only imagine" came on during the 10 minute ride home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGpelp5ZTQ
This song is a treasure to me as it resonates beautiful images of my dear mom, trying to imagine how wonderful things are for her now. May her soul and all the souls of the faithfully departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

I have decided to put the menu below for anyone who is interested. A word about the Lara Bars listed below. These are obscenely expensive, but made of only good things, like unsweetened apples, walnuts, cinnamon, raisins, and stuff like that. You can only feel good to give a "dessert" like that. Unfortunately, only Race Car and Curly liked it. Joke-A-Lot wouldn't even try it. At dinner, I didn't get a very nice look from Mr. Fix-It when I told him that he couldn't have his hot taco sauce as it has corn syrup listed 3rd, "Sorry honey, you said you were game for this". Thankfully, he is easy going and was appeased with the hot salsa sauce I had as an alternate. Artsy also said "Will you tell me when the days are over and we can have desserts again?" Didn't have the heart to tell her that we are only 1/23 of the way through lent. She also went on to talk about how she hopes there is a white chocolate cross in her Easter Basket. Other than this, they really haven't said much at all.

I stood there yesterday trying to figure out what to throw away, as I had committed to throwing 3 things away, and realized how attached I really am to "stuff". I finally relented and grabbed the $1 dictionary and $1 thesaurus from Target that never had the words we looked up in it anyway, along with something that I already forgot. Proves the point that there is way too much stuff if I don't even remember what it was that I got rid of. This may prove to be more freeing than anything. Today, I got rid of the VHS of Pinocchio and two other DVDs. We haven't watched them in well over a year. I am sure if anyone really has an itch to watch Pinocchio, we can find it at the library. Thank God for the library.

The Divine Mercy chaplet has been going wonderfully. Joke-A-Lot and Artsy take turns leading it and Race Car has been taking an interest in following along on the rosary beads and to my surprise he starts to join in with us. It has been very calm and enjoyable.

The following verse is from one of today's reading "Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live, by loving the Lord, your God, heeding His voice, and holding fast to Him." Deuteronomy 30:19-20. I feel like that is what I am doing, trying to heed his voice. I have prayed that if this isn't his will, that it will self-destruct because it certainly will take a good chunk of time. But come the end of Lent, I will understand more fully if this was indeed the will of God or the chatter in my head. So, I commit this over to the Lord and ask His blessing if this is His will. This is certainly out of my comfort zone, but the last time I stepped out of my technology comfort zone, I found Mr. Fix-It. He was well worth stepping into the unknown for.

Today's Menu

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with whole milk, mashed banana, cinnamon

Lunch: Toasted white bread w/butter, ham, cheese, canteloupe, blueberries, oranges, or pears, apple pie Lara Bar

Dinner: Tacos made with corn and flour tortillas, ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, canteloupe

No comments:

Post a Comment