Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

This was the verse of the day for me. I continue to be baffled about what I am doing, but I am trusting that come the end of my Lenten journey, spiritual growth will be evident through my blog.

Food
Today was an atypical day. The kids had their valentine exchange at their homeschool group. I gave them the option of eating their stuff today or offering a sacrifice and saving it until after Lent. I told them that I didn't care either way. Joke-A-Lot chose to save her treats until after Lent. The other two had a complete feast on treats. Even Curly had two butter cookies. It is all gone, back on track tomorrow. Clearly, not a real nutritious day (see menu below), but gratefully this isn't the norm for us.

"Stuff" Detachment
See, this is good that I am accountable or else I would have forgotten today. I am going right now to rid this house of three things. Hang on. Okay, what I found is a cake book that I have had for about 9 years and never used one recipe. Boy, that is will be missed. The second item is one of the thousands of stuffed animals in this house. Definitely could do without that. And lastly, I grabbed a pair of plaid shorts from about 15 years ago. I noticed as I was going around that I avoid giving away things simply because of who gave it to me, whether it is of use anymore or not. For some reason, it feels as if I am hurting their feelings. Hopefully, this will change over Lent. People matter, not stuff.

Spiritual Growth
Artsy led the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Race Car did great on the rosary beads, but was really ticked off when we got to the end and he was off one bead. To be honest, I think having something physical for him to hold helps him calm down. I stopped at the catholic bookstore today. Got a bible and tabs for our nephew who will be confirmed soon. Also found this terrific book called "His Little Princess" with letters from our Lord to the recipient. It is beautiful and I think Joke-A-Lot will love to receive it for her First Communion. Every little girl wants to be a princess and how wonderful that they really are princesses of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. How much better could it get? Tonight, we did the stations of the cross as a family. Joke-A-Lot asked if I was crying. Of course I was as I am very sensitive. I just think of our Lord being nailed to the cross and being trapped and unable to move. And I think of the Blessed Mother holding her sons' lifeless body in her arms. Thank God for the resurrection because I would be in a deep depression for the rest of my life if the story ended there.



Today's Menu

Breakfast: Joke-A-Lot (marble jack cheese with triscuits, pears), Artsy (1/2 Brainy Bagel from Natural Ovens with peanut butter, pear), Race Car (cheerio look alikes with whole milk, cantaloupe), Curly (cheerio look alikes and lots of cantaloupe)

Lunch: McDonalds (hamburger no pickle, small fry, water)

Snack: Valentine exchange at their group - candy

Dinner: Culvers (breaded walleye, french fries, pears)

No comments:

Post a Comment