Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22, 2010

Today's blog is in memory of my mom whose 66th birthday would have been today. Happy Birthday Mama!

Verse of the Day
"The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze;to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength.
You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come." Psalm 23 1-6

I know I chose this verse a few days ago, but I am choosing it again. This was the psalm today at church. I vividly remember after my mom died, my dad getting these cards from this woman at his church almost daily for probably two weeks. This verse was always in the cards. Being that he is legally blind, I read most of his cards to him. Looking back, I am sure God was comforting me at the same time.

Song of the Day
Angels Among Us by Alabama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0HrEvh44c

About 11 years before my mom died, I convinced her to go on a retreat that really impacted my life. I wanted her to have the same experience. She was willing. I brought her there. They made accommodations to help make her comfortable as her health was starting to decline. I stayed and helped out in the kitchen and stuff, but she didn't know that. When they welcomed us helpers in, this song was playing. She was so touched that I was there working. After that retreat, I would find little white paper angels pop up everywhere. This became the song where we connected.

When I got married, I gave her a silver angel jewelry case and engraved it "Remember, there are always angels among us." We know the Bible talks about real angels that exist. "No evil shall befall you, no affliction come near your tent. For God commands the angels to guard you in all your ways. With their hands they shall support you, lest you strike your foot against a stone." Psalm 91:10-12. But it is also common to in gest call people angels because they are there for you through really difficult times, etc. My mom was an angel to me in this sense. Her character, her love, her joy, and her faith propel me to work not at doing more, but "being" more, really "being" in the present moment and enjoying all that it has to offer. The things she has said to me in the past continue to run through my head, encouraging me at every turn. Even though she is dead physically, she continues to influence who I am and where I want to go. I was very blessed.

Food
I always seem to find excuses. Since we always go out to eat with my dad on my mom's birthday, I did allow the kids to have a sugared drink and a dessert. Joke-A-Lot was hesitant since it is a lenten sacrifice. She asked "Do you think Jesus would have it?" I said "Yes". Hope that was the right response. How the heck do I know if Jesus would have the ice cream or not?

"Stuff" Detachment
I cleared out the shelf in the bathroom closet. Threw a bunch of stuff out that I never use. Also, let go of a baby toy.

Spiritual Growth
Artsy got up today and put on her best outfit, beautiful yellow dress, sweater and yellow hat because it was Grandma's birthday. She decided to make a card and leave it out for her. We headed to Mass. Artsy went up to the altar to see if the last heart she placed there was "taken by Jesus" and it was. Curly seems to do something cute every time we go. Today, he kept saying "Hi Jesus. Hi Jesus". The girls wanted to get a present for Grandma, so I said we could pool our money and have a Mass prayed for her. So, we did.

The Divine Mercy Chaplet was cool again because Race Car wanted to lead it. He could even say the Apostle's Creed. I couldn't believe it. And they just cuddle so close. I don't want these years to end.

I want to end this section with a quote from 1 Corinthians 13:
"If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing. . .So faith, hope, love remain, these three; bu the greatest of these is love."

This is something that has really struck me lately. I can try and do everything "right" in this world and Lord knows we all have a lot to do, but if it isn't done with love we are a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. I don't want to be a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. I heard enough clashing cymbals growing up with a drummer for a brother, I don't want to be one. And just today, when I keep this in the back of my head, I notice myself linger just a couple seconds longer when I look at my kids. And what a delight to really make good eye contact with them. I am so often yelling from another room or talking while washing dishes. My mom showed me how to love. I have a clear vision of what love looks like in my head and for that I am grateful. Thankfully, whether we have someone in our lives like that or not, we can all just keep looking up to the cross, the ultimate vision of love.

Thanks for bearing with me as I ponder my mom on her birthday. I did not play a game with the kids today which was my challenge from yesterday. Boy, I am not very good at accomplishing my own challenges, BUT we did crawl in bed and read the book about my mom that I had made after she died. It was fun to reminisce.

Prayer
Dear Lord,
You are Love. Help us to sleep, eat, work and play with a heart of love. Guide us safely through this next day and help all of us make the time to play a game with our kids. Amen.

Book Discussion
I will continue soon.

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Oatmeal made with whole milk,bananas, and cinnamon (I should really try the steel cut oats. They are much better for you.), Jones sausage patties

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwiches, vege tray with dip, strawberries

Dinner: "Not Healthy Alert" Culvers fried walleye, french fries, sugared soda, and concrete mixer for the girls, hamburgers, fries, sugared drink and ice cream for the boys (except Curly had water).

No comments:

Post a Comment