Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13, 2010

Verse of the Day
" . . .;for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18:14

Song of the Day
America Again by Carmen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYtCanpBhVg&NR=1

Food
Tomorrow is another birthday party, but the kids haven't even mentioned the cake. I will let them have cake and ice cream, but will be interested to see if any decide not to have any. I doubt it. They are kids for Pete's sake, what kid is going to decline cake and ice cream?

"Stuff" Detachment
I was so excited to report yesterday's and since I couldn't, I will report today. I started throwing old spices away and next thing you know, I cleared out the whole cabinet, washed all the shelves and reorganized. Boy, that feels good. Sadly, I don't think that has been done since we moved here 8 years ago. Eeek!

Spiritual Growth
Well, this has nothing to do with spiritual growth, but I have to say it anyway. Curly (turned 2 in January), went to the bathroom on the big potty twice today. Amazing how such a simple thing can make your day.

I spent all of last night and all day today at a graduate class "Parenting and Teaching Relationships". I need this to keep my teaching license current. I definitely felt like a fish out of water. I haven't taught since I had my first daughter 8 years ago, plus I homeschool, which for the most part isn't looked upon in a real positive light by public school teachers (except for my awesome uncle, love ya Uncle Ray!). Thank God for the fact that I had Jack Bauer sitting two chairs over which made things a bit lively. Seriously, this guy had his sunglasses on because of some eye deal and he looked just like Jack Bauer. He was as passionate about education as Jack Bauer is about his missions. It was hysterical. Even one of the other teachers who was sitting directly across from him yesterday, came and sat by me today. She didn't like being in his line of fire when he was talking. You know who I am talking about right? Jack Bauer from 24. I don't recommend the show. It is highly addictive and isn't of any value. After the first season, I vowed to never watch it again.

During the class, the teacher asked all of us to write our mission statement for our family down on paper. That was easy "To help my husband and children get to Heaven." Everything else good falls under that wouldn't you say? Well, not to my surprise most people were saying things like "to raise well-adjusted children", "to raise self-sufficient children" and yes these are all fine and dandy, but I wanted to yell out "That's it? How depressing." We have a higher goal, a more enriching and fulfilling goal. So, I sat there with my heart thumping just wishing I had the courage to say my mission even though it would be a total misfit. I wanted to humble myself because this wasn't about me. Maybe God wanted me to say my mission to at least get some people thinking past this earthly life. Well, the moment passed, and I said nothing. I felt so crummy. I blew it. I couldn't even say that. I asked God for another chance. And I got it. Next scenario was this "If you could inject your children with some quality (can't remember the exact word he used), what would it be?" Again all of these good things came out the teachers such as patience, resiliency, empathy, and then I finally spit it out "love of God". Guess what? Everything was okay. No one gasped out loud or anything, but why is it so hard to stand up about even the simplest things?

So, after hearing all the grumblings from the teachers for two days, which were the same grumblings from 8 years ago when I taught. And yes, they are valid grumblings. But I sat there knowing full well nothing would ever change. First of all, there is only so many options when you have a class of 35 students. But secondly, when you ship God out of the schools, can we really be surprised at what is happening. That is why I chose the song above. It always gets me fired up. I remember when I taught, students would gather around the flag pole at the beginning of the year one time before school started in the morning. I would go out there and a couple other teachers too. But the group of students wasn't very big, yet they were there as their fellow students walked by them into school for the day. I was so proud of them, what courage.

I am going to sneak in a bit about "Searching for and Maintaining Peace" by Fr. Jacques Philippe. This next section was titled "Our Difficulty in Believing in Providence".

Fr. Philippe said, "We cannot experience this support from God unless we leave Him the Necessary space in which He can express Himself." Saint John of the Cross says "God gives in the measure that we expect of Him" and Saint Frances de Sales says: "The measure of Divine Providence acting on us is the degree of confidence that we have in it." Father goes on to explain that this is where the problem is, we have never jumped out and taken a leap of faith into the unknown, so that we could experience "Him catching us". We calculate and resolve everything on our own without relying on God. He is clear to state that it isn't bad to anticipate things and develop a budget,etc., but when everything is planned down to the last detail, where have we allowed God's Providence to come in. The answer is we haven't if we control, control, control. I am saying this to myself as I have a problem with trying to always control everything. Yet, I felt some of my best blogs were those that I wrote when I sat down with an absolute empty brain. There was room for God to come through. And the more we see Him come through for us, the more we will develop trust in knowing that our God is faithful. I will end there as that is the perfect lead in for tomorrow's blog which will include one of my all time favorite songs that I mentioned yesterday.

Today's Menu
Breakfast and Lunch: Mr. Fix-it was in charge. I don't ask any questions, just glad everyone is happy when I get home.

Dinner: Papa Murphy's pizza, half cheese, half tomatoes and green peppers, grapes, apples with natural peanut butter, whole milk

Snack: Popcorn made with corn oil on the stove

No comments:

Post a Comment