Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Saturday, March 6, 2010

March 6, 2010

Verse of the Day
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Song of the Day
Go Light Your World by Kathy Troccoli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVSHCbolJew

Songs evoke such strong emotion in me. I thought I better not pick another one that makes me cry, although this one can bring a tear or two. I am reminded that we are Jesus' hands and feet. He has chosen to work through us, hence the unleashing of the Holy Spirit at so many times in our life. Thinking especially of my nephew who was confirmed this morning, praying that God sends the Holy Spirit upon him in a powerful way, lighting his path and making his mission here on earth more clear with each passing day.

Food
Our sugar-free journey has been imperfect thus far, but really going quite well. Even Joke-A-Lot who normally isn't a big fruit eater has been enjoying the variety of fruits that I put in front of her. I continue to be grateful that all of the kids are listening to their stomachs thus far. Today, I had some extra cheese I had cut and offered it to Joke-A-Lot and Race Car. They both love it. Neither of them wanted any, so I almost began to argue with them "But you guys love this cheese". They responded "But we aren't hungry". Yes! Somewhere along the way my full/empty switch got broken, hence the reason for my 12 step program of recovery in compulsive overeating. So, thrilled to continue to see that there systems are working and they are listening to them.

"Stuff" Detachment
Hitting the closet today. I will be right back. Yes! I got three of Mr. Fix-its short sleeve shirts, all fall into the "worn out" or "never wear" category. He'll never know. Good that's done. I am glad I am forced to do this and report in.

Spiritual Growth
I again am not surprised that as I write this, an email came in with an encouraging story about a blind young man. It begins with him playing the song "Light of the Moon", so I am guessing Light is the theme of today's blog. It is really neat to sit down and have no idea where God is going to lead me. Here is the link. I have seen it before and you many have too, but it is inspiring to say the least. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=9xwCG0Ey2Mg

Fr. Jacques Philippe in his book "Searching for and Maintaining Peace" discusses the struggle we have with our thoughts. The opposition is between those thoughts that originate in our own spirit, or the mentality of our surroundings or even sometimes from the enemy himself which cause us disquietude, fear, discouragement against the other thoughts that could comfort us and reestablish our peace. He believes we need a quiver full of good thoughts, one of which should be "all the reasons that cause us to lose our sense of peace are bad reasons."

"If we seek peace as the world gives it, if we expect peace in accordance with the reasoning of the world, or with the motivations that accord with the current mentality that surrounds us (because every thing is going well, because we aren't experiencing any annoyances and our desires are completely satisfied, etc.), then it is certain that we will never know peace or that our peace will be extremely fragile and of short duration." Like right now, Joke-A-Lot and Race Car will not stop fighting over the train, but that doesn't mean I need to lose my peace right?

The reason we can be at peace comes from trust in the World of Jesus. "Peace I leave with you, My own peace I give to you; a peace the world cannot give, this is My gift to you. Let not your hearts be troubled or afraid . . ." John 14:27 So, these words carry the same weight as the words that brought earth and sky from void, that quieted the storm, that healed the sick and brought the dead back to life. This peace can never be taken away, God says so "For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable." Romans 11:29 Because of our lack of faith we don't always know how to acquire or preserve them.

Tomorrow I will be discussing the necessary conditions for peace. And after that I will be discussing certain situations where we frequently lose our peace. Stay tuned.

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Grapenuts with whole milk and sliced banana for Joke-A-Lot, Puffed corn and peanut butter toast for Curly, Van's waffles with peanut butter and sliced banana on one half and carmelized banana (sliced banana and butter sauteed) on the other half, nothing for Artsy (still recovering)

Lunch: Soft flour taco with taco meat and cheese, noodle soup with saltines, vege tray, small mandarin oranges

Dinner: Deep dish Pizza Hut pizza (cheese or pepperoni), sliced apples. Easy night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment