Welcome

This blog is simply one family's lenten journey seen through the eyes of the Mama.
To understand our family better, please see the side bar for family names and ages.
Hope this is an encouragement for you on your walk with the Lord.



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10, 2010

Verse of the Day
"Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake. . . .; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes." Big Book of AA (pg449)

Song of the Day
What If I Stumble by Dc Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkHgHSYaSk
This was a fitting song. Doubts stream through my head, still a bit amazed that I am doing this blog, then like clockwork I hear from another person who is enjoying this blog. With all that has happened throughout this blog, I am more confident than ever that this was indeed the will of God. And I continue to say, this isn't about me, but about God. I will continue to try my best to be open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and allow Him to work through me.

Food
There has been some rumbling on the home front. But we are making it through and to be honest the kids seem more settled, calm, and more even keel. Yes, it could be in my head, but if it is I hope it continues. I like it this way.

"Stuff" Detachment
I am definitely finding it easy to get rid of the junk. Today was a sweatshirt from when I coached volleyball about 16 years ago, had holes in it. Finally, got Mr. Fix-It some new jeans, so out went his old ones, along with a gigantic t-shirt. I feel like I am working around the outside of the issue. I am purposefully avoiding getting ride of anything with any sort of attachment. I'll keep plugging away.

Spiritual Growth
Today, I had the "fun" job of taking my boys for their pictures, always such a joyous event, but I continue to torture myself through the process probably because of my attachment to pictures. When I first began this picture process with Joke-A-Lot 8 years, I was filled with stress. I wanted the best pictures. I would worry about it before, during, and after. Thankfully, the verse above about acceptance was one of the many things I have learned through my journey as a recovering compulsive overeater. So, today was definitely growth for me. I had Curly sitting through every pose with the same exact "deer caught in the headlights look". He would sit, lay, stand, hold a balloon, all with the exact same look. On the other extreme, we had Race Car who was smiling so hard, his eyes disappeared and his teeth and gums took over his whole face. In the past, I would have pushed the photographer to take more pictures, try something different, etc. This time was different, I actually accepted the situation exactly as it was. So, the time came to view all the photographs. Thankfully, there was one picture of Race Car where we could indeed see that he was blessed with beautiful eyes. Then, there they came, Curly's pictures. Picture after picture of the exact same expression. I couldn't help it, I was laughing pretty hard. In the past, I would not have been laughing, but asking them to redo the session. I finally narrowed down the choice to the ones where his curly hair looked the best, since the expressions didn't change.

Tomorrow: I promise I will get back to my book on peace tomorrow. It is so good.

Today's Menu
Breakfast: Nature's Pride 100% whole wheat double fiber bread with Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter, grapes

Lunch: McDonald's hamburger, no pickle, small fry, water

Snack: Gala apples with Smucker's natural peanut butter

Dinner: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes (made with butter, whole milk), asparagus (sauteed in butter), stewed tomatoes, canned pears in their own juices

Snack: More Gala apples with peanut butter, triscuits and marble jack cheese

1 comment:

  1. I really needed to be reminded that "acceptance is the answer to all my problems today!" Thanks for that.:)

    ReplyDelete